Friday 8 November 2013

The end - for this year.

I remained at Buckby on Sunday 3rd as it was still windy.  Monday is much better so off I go on my last cruise of the year.  I even quite enjoyed (well, didn't mind too much) the 2000 yard Braunston tunnel, despite meeting a boat coming the other way with his light not angled up.  In the dark, what is usually a car fog light, pointing straight at you is blinding and you have difficulty seeing the side, never mind the approaching boat.  As I passed, I told him in no uncertain terms.  When I met up with the boat following me through the tunnel, at the locks, he said the other boat had turned off his light!  I am not sure which is worse!  Why he did not just angle his light up, I do not know.  Apart from not blinding oncoming boats, it enables you to judge your position better as it shines at the roof of the tunnel so you know immediately if the bows are starting to drift towards the sides.
The other boat accompanies me down the Braunston flight, making life easier.  I had been thinking of stopping at Braunston but it is pretty busy so I continue to the spot, near my winter moorings, where I was on the 20 October, intending to go into the marina on Wednesday or Thursday.  It's a great spot for James as he can be off the lead most of the time and there is lots of room for him to tear about and chase his ball.
I climb up to the top of Barby hill with magnificent views:

Rainbow did not come out too well

I bag the prime mooring spot

The forecast for Thursday is very good and I cannot resist one final little cruise.  I call in at the marina to pick up a couple of packing boxes from the car and travel up the 6 miles, down the delightful Hillmorton Locks, to Rugby for some shopping and back to moor below Hillmorton Locks.  I go up the locks on Friday morning, moor above the top lock, and start packing ready for the morrow.
So that is it for this year and what a fantastic year it has been. I'll be back in March.

 20 miles; 12 locks
TOTAL:  876 miles (323 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 467 locks (225 broad); 78 moveable bridges




3 comments:

  1. Quite an achievement Alan. Have a peaceful winter - I look forward to your new blog in the spring.
    Cheers
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ian. I am in trouble if I have a peaceful winter as I have to get the house ready for sale - and sell/give away/dump a lot of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the market's picking up and hopefully you'll get it done before the ice has gone from the canals :)

    ReplyDelete