Wednesday 31 December 2014

BATH



A rather belated end to my cruising notes for 2014 (posted14/04/2015) - mostly photos.  I spent a few days at the start of October in Bath and Bathampton.

Bath Top Lock
looking down the canal to Bath

The Avon
I had hoped to go through the Bath locks and onto the Avon down to Bristol but the forecast for river levels was not good so I made do with walking down to the Avon.  It looks pretty peaceful but it can rise very quickly.
Entering Bath Deep Lock - not for the faint-hearted.

























Two locks were combined when the canal was restored in 1976. A road constructed while the canal was in a state of disrepair passes over the original site of the lower lock. The new chamber has a depth of 19 ft 5 in, making it Britain's second deepest canal lock, second only to Tuel Lane Lock on the Rochdale, just deeper at 19 ft  8½ in.
That is a long ladder to ascend or descend

And the influx of water is pretty fierce - I do not think I would like to attempt it on my own



Bath Pump House




Above the top lock the canal passes through Sydney Gardens where it passes through two tunnels and under two cast iron footbridges dating from 1800. Cleveland tunnel is 173 ft long and runs under Cleveland House, the former headquarters of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company. A trap-door in the tunnel roof was employed to exchange paperwork between clerks above and barges below. This is now a grade II listed building

Sunset at Bathampton.  Nice mooring but noisy (road and rail)

















































After a night at Bradford, where I manage one of the boater's breakfasts which I missed out on when coming down, I moor up and discover what is to become my favourite mooring on the K&A.


Perfect
After staying over a week I remember to take some photos before leaving.
Reconstruction of a Tudor barn
The owner may be a trifle eccentric but he encourages walkers and Scout camps - James particularly enjoys the woods and many fields.

No petrol price advertised!!



And a sense of humour





Ready to depart
So, that was cruising over for another year.  Well, almost.  When I went back to winterise the boat it was a glorious Autumn day - I could not resist a final little outing.
The entrance to Caen Hill Marina
All over - a lovely ending as a bonus


TOTAL 2014

662 miles; 379 locks (140 broad; 37 large); 46 moveable bridges

2 YEAR TOTAL

1538 miles; 846 locks (365 broad or large); 124 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment