Sunday 9 June 2013

Quick Resume Part 3

22 May

Ellesmere is a very nice place and has some strange "sculptures"  I did like one though.








All of the tiles inside depict canal scenes.
I was lucky enough to meet John and give him a cup of coffee and a donation.  I had been reading of his journey on the canalworld forum.  His wife died last year as well and we shed a few tears together.
He is planning to take his makeshift catamaran to the furthest points of the English canal system and is doing fantastically well and raising money for McMillan. You can read his story and exploits here  You can also make a donation to a very worthwhile cause should you feel so inclined.







There is a very large and popular Mere.  I will let the photos do the talking.


The first gosling I have spotted


So, goodbye to Ellesmere and I make my way to Whitchurch.
James gives me a fright.  He went almost comatose for a couple of hours.  Barely responds when I call him and not interested in treats. At 8pm I try ringing the vet and am pleasantly surprised to get an answer - they provide a 24 hour emergency service.  For an £80 call out fee (fair enough) he will meet me at the surgery.  I am not sure if I can get James there - it is over a mile.  Of course as soon as I pick up the lead he perks up and seems completely normal.  I call vet back and he advises a check-up tomorrow, which I was going to do anyway.
TODAY: 12.5 miles; 0 locks;
TOTAL:  244 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 121 locks (21 broad); 11 lift bridges

23 May

Walk to the vets is a bit traumatic as it is mostly along roads and he goes mental whenever a car passes.  We get there and the vet confirms he has kennel cough and is pretty congested.  Turn last night would have been caused by a temperature spike and his temperature is still high.  Antibiotics and steroids prescribed and it means I will not be able to have his second inoculation (first was done by first rescue centre he was in) done in the 28 day time limit so he will have to have the first again.
Get back to the boat OK and I decide to get the bike out for the first time to cycle to Sainsburys.  Half way there and I find the going difficult - I thought I was getting fitter!  It's not me it is a puncture.  Padlock the bike and walk the rest and back to the bike with arms a bit longer than they were!
The weather is not good and strong winds so I stay another night until Saturday and break the 48 hour limit.

25 May

Cruise to Baddiley locks within easy reach of Nantwich.  Lisa's nephew, Jamie and his family, are driving up from London tomorrow to experience cruising on a narrowboat and I moor within an easy taxi ride of the B&B where they are staying.  It means I do a decent bit of housekeeping to make the boat presentable!

TODAY: 9 miles; 13 locks; 4 moveable bridges
TOTAL:  253 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 134 locks (21 broad); 15 moveable bridges

26 May

Jamie, Sally, Catherine and William duly arrive and Jamie has his first experience of working locks.  We are intending to have a bbq in the evening and we have a choice between making for Hack Green (where I stopped to see the cold war bunker), which has a very nice picnic/bbq spot, or stopping at the Barbridge Inn for a pint.  Needless to say the pub wins and it is absolutely mobbed.  Luckily a boat moves off the moorings just as I am approaching.  Tight spot to get into and another boater stands ready to take my rope, trhen says "he doesn't need me, he's a professional".  I preen myself even though it was probably due to a large slice of luck.



Jamie and Sally both had a spell on the tiller and did very well.












Fortunately we find a nice spot for our bbq and a very enjoyable evening ensues.  Only problem was James fell in love with Jamie and tried to hump him at every opportunity


TODAY: 10 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  263 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 140 locks (21 broad); 15 moveable bridges

27 & 28 May 

After a short cruise with the family I moored at Nantwich.  Stoked up on supplies and filled up with diesel.

TODAY: 4 miles; 0 locks
TOTAL:  267 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 140 locks (21 broad); 15 moveable bridges

 



No comments:

Post a Comment