Wednesday 17 April 2013

Barbridge Inn

Despite the very strong wind, I decided to move on and try to find some more sheltered moorings.  I also could do with a bit of shopping.



Not easy getting off the bank with the wind and negotiating the two locks, with the wind and strong backwash, was not easy, but good experience.








I had intended to stop at Nantwich for the shops but all the visitor moorings were full and the phone signal was poor so continued on past the junction with the Llangollen canal where I will be heading after my visit home next week.  Briefly tried stopping but the dreaded Shroppie shelf would have meant a night with the hull scraping - not only damaging my blacking but probably a disturbed night.  My usual method of getting off the bank - pushing the stern out, a quick blast of full astern (which normally pushes the bows out with the wash from the prop) failed completely.  Tried pushing the stern out with the boat pole but the wind was just too strong.  Fortunately the boat behind me saw my predicament and my thanks to the two people who managed to push my bows out enough to get underway.
 

It was beginning to get a bit cold and starting to rain when I came across the Barbridge Inn - free 24 hours moorings, provided you use the pub.  An invitation I could not refuse which resulted in a really excellent belly of pork and a very enjoyable evening chatting with a delightful couple from Kent, who shared a lot of their local canal knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment