Friday 5 April 2013

Struck Down

I have been laid low by the Gnosall epidemic which has swept through the attendees at the banter.
Managed to get to Norbury for coal and gas on Monday.  Bit of chaos at Norbury with boats moored everywhere, wind blowing hard and a boat already on service point.  I managed not too badly and only lightly glanced one boat - but I think they were foolish to have been moored opposite the service point.  Next boat coming in after me also hit them!
Tuesday I took the bus into Stafford and Screwfix to pick up a folding aerial and 3 metre mast which should make TV reception a lot easier in poor reception areas.  It will have to be a bit of a bodge to fix it up as they no longer sold the mounting which I wanted.  Very helpful staff at Screwfix and with the aid of copious amounts of gaffer tape managed to get the items secured to my trolley.
By Wednesday I was starting to feel a bit unwell and made the mistake of travelling for the hour to the next winding hole to turn round for my proposed get away on Thursday.  It was not to be - spent Wed evening in thermal underwear and jacket with the temperature on the boat at 25 deg - and I was shivering!  Thank goodness I got the stove going properly!  A 12 hour sleep drenched in sweat found me feeling a bit better but I had run out of Beechams so took the bus the mile to the chemist to restock.  A 200 yard walk left me completely cream-crackered!  I needed milk but could not face the short walk to the nearest shop.  Boating community to the rescue and thanks to the couple who kindly got it for me.  Spent most of the day and evening dozing in the chair but a bit better night.  Not fit enough to travel today - hopefully tomorrow - and it is supposed to be getting warmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment