Wednesday 18 June 2014

Onto The Thames


Leaving my mooring of the last five nights on Tuesday.  Nice quiet spot, except for the occasional train and very handy for the town (and vet!).











Only its mother could say a moorhen chick is beautiful







Duke's cut and a shortcut to the Thames but I decide to continue to the end of the canal, skirting Oxford.







I had not noticed that going this way would mean three lift bridges, none of which were left open.  A kind cyclist offered to help with the first one and I discovered they are easy to operate on one's own.  The bridges are well balanced and you can lift them from the towpath side.  After going through you just pull them back down with the chain - why can't they all be like that?  It was not really worthwhile taking the longer route - pretty unattractive and lots of scruffy long term moored boats.  At least I can say I have travelled the full length of the Oxford canal.
 













And onto the Thames where I discover the stretch from Oxford to Godstow lock is used extensively by the University rowing teams - it seems strange to be passed by rowers - and not just the eights - single scullers zoom past me with ease.
The remains of Godstow Nunnery, founded in the 12th century and destroyed by Cromwell's army in 1645.  At one time it was extremely prosperous and owned lands in 17 counties.


My moorings for the night at King's Lock with Duke's cut on the left, where I would have emerged had I not taken the longer route.  A lovely spot even though I had to pay to the EA £6.50 for the privilege - a bit cheeky as I have paid them over £300 for the Thames license.



I had hired boats on the Thames previously but below Oxford.  Upstream from Oxford is very quiet, remote and lovely, in contrast to the very busy lower Thames.
My mooring on Wednesday night - a very quiet spot next to the very large Farmoor reservoir.

Tuesday
9 miles; 7 locks (2 large); 3 lift bridges
Wednesday
4 miles; 2 large locks 
 
TOTAL:  364 miles; 215 locks (58 broad; 9 large; 7 lift bridges)

No comments:

Post a Comment