Wednesday 7 August 2013

Kildwick and Silsden 2-7 August

I had intended to spend another night in Skipton but the noise of the youngsters coming out of the nearby nightclub between 2 and 3 in the morning decided me to move on - next time I will moor the other side of the footbridge!
I do not leave before a visit to the pie shop - a pork pie and a steak & kidney - delicious!
With a field for James to run about in




I find a lovely spot near the small village of Kildwick.










Canal side houses



A nice part of the world

Whitewashed houses remind me of Spain but very different style



Bridge over the River Aire
After a few days I need some shopping so decide to move on to Silsden and tackle the 4 swing bridges on the way.  My luck is in - a day boat opens the 1st for me, the 2nd is derelict, the 3rd is tied open and a hire boat appears just as I am about to tackle the 4th.
The ducks are not short of food here




A fair walk to the large Co-Op, no fruit & veg shop and the butchers is closed for the day.












I move on a bit to moor in the countryside for a couple of nights.






And am rewarded with yet another lovely sunset.














On one of my walks with James I discover what must have been a kiln (there are two of them)- presumably for lime.










I take the opportunity of my few days lingering to catch up on my shares and accounts and book a car and mooring for the following weekend for a short trip back home.
Hard at work in the office!
I have now done over 500 miles since starting out.
 8 miles; 0 locks; 8 moveable bridges
TOTAL:  503 miles (204 miles broad, 40 miles river); 244 locks (111 broad); 45 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment