Tuesday 27 August 2013

Knottingley

Uneventful journey down to Castleford and the junction of the Aire and Calder rivers.  I had been hoping to stop here for supplies but the moorings are pretty full, although I am able to stop at the water point to fill up and dispose of my accumulated rubbish of the last few days.  Also at the water point is another boat, a small cruiser, which I have definitely met before, as I recognised both the owner and his large English flag, which we had joked about as my Saltire is quite small.  We discuss the routes we have been on but cannot match them up - it will remain a mystery where we met previously.


 I travel past Ferrybridge power station, which I had previously seen in the distance from 10 miles away.  It does tend to dominate the landscape for a considerable distance.  I had been intending to top up supplies at Morrisons in Ferrybridge but there is no possibility of mooring anywhere near.  I find a Sainsbury Express which suffices but would not want to spend the night there.
James checks out the toilet facilities


So onwards, past the junction where the River Aire continues and where I would have gone had I been heading to York.  I bear to the right, back on the canal and find a nice mooring a short distance on.  I am on mooring pins, which, according to the navigational notes are not recommended, due to the very large gravel barges which use this navigation and cause a large wash, which could dislodge the pins.  I receive confirmation on the canal world forum that the barges ceased a month ago - a relief for me but sad for the waterways.

11 miles; 5 locks
TOTAL:  551 miles (235 miles broad, 57 miles river); 287 locks (154 broad); 62 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment