Saturday 9 March 2013

Background

BACKGROUND


After my wife died last year I put into action my plan to buy and live on a narrow boat.  Although we had been on quite a few boating holidays on the Thames, the Broads and the Caledonian Canal, these were all on cruisers so I hired a narrowboat at the start of October to see how I got on with handling a 60ft boat.
I loved it - perhaps aided by it being one of the best weeks of the summer!  Thanks to my cousin, Margaret, for agreeing to come with me (solo hirers are not allowed) - I think she enjoyed some of it!

I started looking at boats for sale, first on the internet and then at marinas.  Also reading as much as I could about what was involved in living afloat. Canalworld Forum and Paul Smith's  livingonanarrowboat proved very useful.

It is said that the boat picks you and that is indeed what happened.  I was about to start negotiations on a boat on brokerage with Nottingham Boat Sales.  Excellent service from them by the way and I can thoroughly recommend them.  Unlike some brokers I have read about, they went out of their way to be helpful and are a great bunch of friendly guys.  Thanks Findlay, James, Dean, Brian and Bruce (and others whose names I have forgotten).  I started calling Findlay, Bob - his reply to my requests was inevitably "We can do that" - until I asked if he could install a larger shower!  The day after I  had viewed the boat Findlay telephoned to say the price on a similar boat had been reduced and now came within my price range.  So, another 4 hour trip to Nottingham and as soon as I saw Lucy Lowther I knew she was for me.  Offer accepted and works to be carried out were agreed, the most important being installing a stove and a washing machine.  And blacking.  And resealing the windows.  And painting the engine bay and front lockers.  And having the engine serviced.  And........  You get the picture.


On the 19 December I became the proud owner of Lucy Lowther, a 54ft Nottingham Castle Class by SW Durham. I spent a couple of cold nights onboard, despite the gas central heating going (expensively) full blast - I need that stove!

So why is the blog called The Lovely Lisa?  Well, I was going to rename her after my late wife but, if I take to the boating life, I suspect I will want to upgrade when I sell the house - an extra 6ft, a larger shower and not a cross bed.  I will rename the new boat or this one, if I keep her,  when next repainting but in my mind she will always be "The Lovely Lisa".
 

Drove up to Nottingham again on mostly deserted roads on Xmas Day (what a treat) - reminded me of being in France - we have too many cars! I had a lovely cruise down to Beeston and back on a beautiful but very cold Boxing Day 









 No way was I venturing onto the Trent - not that I could have got through the lock even if I had wanted to.


The works were carried out on schedule including the most important

On the 3rd of March I packed the car with most of what I thought I would need






Now, what have I forgotten?


 






And on the 9th I took the train to Nottingham to move on board.  Travelled first class of course - it was a pound cheaper than standard!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment