Monday 25 March 2013

First Journey Complete

The way forward
A very, very cold journey with a strong Easterly wind, which at times was blowing the snow straight across the canal. 
Stopped for a warm and was gong to have some lunch but I knew if I did that I was unlikely to get going again. So, made do with a cuppa soup and kept going. 






 Into the freezing cold
Saw several herons, buzzard being harassed by crows, kestrels (I think) and the highlight - a kingfisher, which kept pace with me for a while. Every time I got near to him and ready for a photograph, he would fly a few more yards further on, so no kingfisher photograph. 
Very glad to get to Gnosall and a warm and bite to eat. Only passed 2 boats in the whole 13 miles. 
So, my first journey is complete.  85 miles, 41 locks (30 narrow locks, 11 broad locks) in 13 days, including 2 days stopped.  Photo of Gnosall to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment