Sunday 23 June 2013

Dutton Breach and onto the Bridgewater

5 & 6 June

My friend David and his wife Emma join me to go back up the lift and we stop for a very nice lunch at the Stanley Arms.  I feel a bit guilty at choosing the mixed grill - it was excellent, thank you David.


The exceptional rains caused the canal to breach at Dutton in September last year.  It cost over £2million to repair and the work was completed ahead of schedule.










A lot of damage




Remedial works are still being carried out.





But at least it has provided some good moorings, rare on this stretch.






With views over the River Weaver, where I have just been.









Short video here

7 & 8 June




I start off towards Preston Brook Tunnel - perhaps one is supposed to phone ahead and find if the way is clear!  Two small tunnels first to practice on - 572 yards and 424 yards.















My longest tunnel so far at 1239 yards but plenty of room and I manage to avoid contact with the sides.  About half an hour to get through.











The tunnel marks the start of the Bridgewater canal.  Unfortunately most of it is not this picturesque.















I find a lovely spot to moor for my evening BBQ.  Bit busy but good company.












James and I go to have a walk round Walton Hall - now a public park and very beautiful.  There is a children's zoo and many walks - we covered quite a few miles.







Azaleas in all their glory







Wedding taking place at the hall while we were there.






Not sure what James made of the wildlife - they were noisy.








 7 miles; 1 lock
TOTAL:  341 miles (44 miles broad, 40 miles river); 159 locks (31 broad); 15 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment