Thursday 4 July 2013

Bridgewater Canal

9-18 June


I cannot say the Bridgewater canal is one of the more attractive canals, passing through a lot of built up areas and with facilities for boaters few and far between.


A lot of, sadly, derelict industrial buildings.


















Quite a nice spot in Sale with a Tesco and a Sainsbury within easy walking distance.  I also find an excellent fishmonger  - Moules a la crème is on the menu!










There are some attractive areas including the Packet House at Worsley.













And the highlight is crossing the Manchester Ship Canal









A bit further on I encounter a lighthouse - perhaps a rich man's folly?











I arrive at Bedford Basin in Leigh, built in 1867 to load coal onto barges.  The owner, Paul, has kindly offered me a safe mooring while I go back home for a few days.  I certainly would not have been happy to leave the boat on the tow path unattended in this area.



Paul's historical "short boat" in the basin.












27 miles; 0 locks
TOTAL:  368 miles (71 miles broad, 40 miles river); 159 locks (31 broad); 15 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment