Wednesday 23 October 2013

I get to Buckby

Weather was not brilliant so I left it until Sunday 20th to drive back to the marina, unload the car and escape the marina half a mile up the canal where I spent a couple of days waiting for an improvement. On Tuesday I move a couple of miles to be ready for the Braunston flight.





You can just make out the mediaval ridge and furrow field patterns. These were created as forested land was cleared with each ploughed strip throwing soil towards the centre, creating a series of parallel strips and making up a furlong or cultura.








Wednesday, the weather is a bit better so I set off.  There is another boat on the water point at Braunston and they very kindly say they will wait and share the braod locks. Even kinder they go ahead and another boat is waiting and suggests they share the locks - they decline, saying they have promised me to share - thank you very much.
Braunston Turn for Birmingham or Coventry.
Approaching the locks




























Pump house
Crooked Cottage




Braunston tunnel looms.  At 2074 yards it is the longest for me so far and it has a couple of kinks which can catch you out.  It is two way but fortunately I meet nothing coming the other way so manage with no problems. Took about half an hour. Not a good photo, I am afraid, but you get the idea.  You can just make out the far end.
A relief to get back into the sunshine
 I moor just before Norton junction - dawn Thursday morning
 9 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  831 miles (293 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 441 locks (205 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment