Tuesday 1 October 2013

Hartshill

The mooring is good with a field for James and I am in two minds whether to proceed up the 11 lock Atherstone flight.
However, the wind drops, a few boats have come down and none have gone up for a while (meaning the locks should be set in my favour) and someone tells me there are volunteer lock-keepers at the top of the flight.  Off I go.







Not sure what castle this is - experimenting with the camera on full (42x zoom) - anti-shake  works well.




The flight is very pleasant and the locks are in my favour, except for one for some reason.




Top lock and the lockies worked the top 4 for me and were kind enough to stay on after their official 4pm finish. I made the flight in just over 2 hours - would probably have been double that if no help and the locks set against me.
Hartshill yard - Old Blacksith's shop, now a CaRT something or other
Looking up the canal from the yard


















Looking at the weather forecast I may be here for a couple of days.  It is a good spot with lots of fields for James. Well stocked local shop I walked to and stocked up with basics.

Time for chicken piri-piri and chips - not had it for a while and salivating a bit!


5 miles; 11 locks
TOTAL:  795 miles (289 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 431 locks (199 broad); 78 moveable bridges


No comments:

Post a Comment