Saturday 5 October 2013

Oxford Canal

I spend the next three days catching up on lots of things, mainly finances- and trying to learn a bit about the new camera, I am up to page 138 of 244!  Most of it I will never use but it is amazing what it can do.  One setting is for people and it can be set to automatically take the photo when the person smiles.  On Friday, Michele and Andrew catch up with me.
















My first attempt at a panoramic shot on the new camera - I'll get a better view for the next one!





Before setting off today, entertainment is provided by a marching band practising in the field next to the boat.










I stop at Nuneaton and a fairly long and hot walk to Sainsbury's to stock up - thank goodness for my trolley!
The aptly named "Charity Dock" - what a collection and amazing life-size figures.








Hawkesbury Junction, a very popular spot - especially on a sunny Saturday.
Looking back to the Coventry Canal, from the basin
Waiting to go through the flood lock - the old engine house is centre photo


















 
The Wyken Colliery Arm, now used by Coventry Cruising Club - tight fit!
I had hoped to catch up with Michele and Andrew but it is getting dark and they have travelled further than expected.  I spot a lovely spot on the off-side playing fields and no sign saying "No Mooring" - that will do nicely and James heartily approves.
11 miles; 1 lock
TOTAL:  806 miles (289 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 432 locks (199 broad); 78 moveable bridges
























No comments:

Post a Comment