Monday 31 March 2014

Back on The Coventry

An unremarkable day.  Perhaps this was the highlight
The Ashby has a large population of water voles and I was lucky enough to have two separate sightings.
I turn back onto the Coventry and moor up shortly thereafter.




For a moment I think I am back at home as I think these are the same Zwartbles sheep as my next-door neighbour keeps.  If you want to know more about them there is a website here


10 miles; 0 locks
TOTAL:  64 miles; 4 locks 

  Tuesday 1 April


Descended Atherstone Flight

 I moor up for lunch at Hartshill, where I stopped last year for a couple of nights.  It is a good spot with lots of good walks and plenty of fields for James and I had intended to stay the night as it is the last good mooring before the Atherstone flight of  11 locks.  However, the sun comes out and I decide to go on.  Am I glad I did - it was shirtsleeve weather and I discover how unfit I have become over the winter by the amount of sweating I do descending the flight!  There are quite a few boats on the move and lock-keepeers on duty at the top two locks so I did get some help and only had to close 3 sets of gates behind me.
I moor up at the bottom of the flight and sit out on the stern with a welcome refreshment.


9.5 miles; 11 locks
TOTAL:  73.5 miles; 15 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment