Thursday 3 April 2014

Hopwas

As the weather was poor, I spent yesterday catching up on some jobs. Today's forecast is reasonable so I make a fairly early start and stop at Polesworth where there is supposed to be a good butcher.  And so it proves - and a greengrocer just across the road.  As usual, I am tempted into buying too much - thank goodness for the vacuum packer.  There is a very pleasant park just by the canal with lots of amenities and a field for James to play in.  But I decide to move on as I want to get a bit ahead on my schedule of getting to Gnosall for Easter and the forecast for the weekend does not look brilliant.


Just a short way North is Pooley Hall, built in 1509 and now a Country Park operated by Warwickshire County Council. It is still a private residence and I was intrigued to know who lives in places like this - apparently until recently it was the home of the late Edwin Starr, an American Soul and Motown Singer.




Aqueduct over the River Tame at Tamworth
Looking back to the aqueduct
Fazeley junction and the route to Birmingham but I am heading North on a longer route but with a lot less locks - and I prefer countryside to cities anyway.

11.5 miles; 2 locks
TOTAL:  85 miles; 17 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment