Monday 19 May 2014

A respite from the canals

Another boat moors next to me on my second night below Stockton Locks and invite me to share the flight with them in the morning with a 9 am start.  Suits me fine and they were a very nice couple, heading for the large, annual bank holiday boat show at Crick.

Looking back down the Stockton flight
And so  I arrive at Calcutt Marina where I have booked a week's mooring to hire a car and go back to the house.  Apart from wanting to collect post and check on things, I have to live in the house at least every 60 days to avoid it being classed as unoccupied by the insurance company.
I had meant to update the blog while I was at the house but forgot to take the sd card from the camera.

4 miles; 10 locks (10 broad)
TOTAL:  290 miles; 170 locks (55 broad; 5 large)

Saturday, 17 May 2014

Stockton Locks


The aptly named Wood Lock

Bascote Locks include a 2 lock staircase






Newly hatched ducklings not daring to stray more than a few inches from Mum.  By the next day they were starting to be adventurous and learning how to eat.















3 miles; 7 locks (7 broad)
TOTAL:  286 miles; 160 locks (45 broad; 5 large)

Friday, 16 May 2014

There are many supermarkets adjacent to the canal in Warwick.  I stop at Tesco to stock up.
Aqueduct over the railway in Warwick.
The change from fairly industrial surroundings in Warwick to its more affluent neighbour, Royal Leamington Spa is obvious.


And I could not resist a photo of my first cygnets of this year.


7 miles; 5 locks (5 broad)
TOTAL:  283 miles; 153 locks (38 broad; 5 large)

No comments:

Post a Comment