Thursday 15 May 2014

Warwick

I wake up early, take a look out of the window and decide it is time for a dawn cruise.
 After James has had his morning constitutional of course!


































Approaching the first lock at 6 am.













Three locks later I arrive at Kingswood junction and the Grand Union.  Because it was (and is again) a busy intersection, there are two branches onto the connecting arm - left and south from where I have come and right and north into Birmingham.
And onto the Grand Union - Main Line

























I stop before the 21 lock Hatton flight and have to decide whether to moor up or tackle the flight on my own as there are no other boats in sight. I top up with water and wait another half hour - still no boats, so I proceed into the first lock on my own.

And back to broad locks - with no shortage of water!
A CART employee walks down from the next lock to say repairs are being carried out and there will be a short wait.  As it turns out it was a stroke of luck as a hotel boat arrives and comes with me into the first lock to wait for the next lock to open.  Thank goodness - I would have found it very hard going on my own. There was a possible mooring half way up but as we are getting on well I keep going with the hotel boat and we manage the next 20 locks in well under 2 hours. For some reason I cannot now remember, I have no photos!  A very tiring (there were only two and a disabled guest on the hotel boat) but rewarding day.
I stop just before Warwick.

8 miles; 24 locks (21 broad)
TOTAL:  276 miles; 148 locks (33 broad; 5 large)

No comments:

Post a Comment