Friday 3 May 2013

Aqueducts and tunnels

I wake up to some new neighbours. 





The daffodils are late this year, like most things.  Cornwall is the largest producer of daffs in Britain and they have had to let a lot rot this year.










Chirk aqueduct and adjoining railway viaduct




Chirk tunnel, 459 yards long.


 Through the tunnel safely - I cannot say I am keen on tunnels, although it was dry, unlike some.

The famous one - Pontcysyllte

 File:Under Pontcysyllte.jpg

Pronounced pont-k-sillity, it is 1007 (307m) long, 11ft (3.4m) wide and 5.25ft (1.60m) deep and 126ft (38m) high. Each span is 53ft (16m) wide.  Built by Thomas Telford (Scottish, of course) and William Jessop, it was opened on 26 November 1805, having taken around ten years to design and build at a total cost of £47,000. Adjusted for inflation this is equal to £2,930,000 as of 2013, but it would be much, much more than that to build today, mainly because of the very low wages paid then for manual workers. It is the longest and highest aqueduct in Britain, Grade 1 listed and a world heritage site.







Here I go!








The railway viaduct


It is not very wide and I had forgotten to remove my fenders - 3 gone!

Who is in charge of the boat?

Unfortunately, it was quite windy and when I stepped off to take a photo my Nicholson's Guide ended up down there.  £15 to replace but the worst was losing my notes of where I had moored and the TV and phone/internet signal at each place.

 

Don't step off!

Great views



Shadow of following boat


The end is nigh!

For any observant readers, I combined photos going and coming back - unlike Scotland, the weather does not change that quickly!
For more information see Wikipedia

Part two of the day to follow shortly.











No comments:

Post a Comment