Friday 3 May 2013

Heading for Chirk

After the immediate lift bridge, 13 miles free from locks (and lift bridges) to look forward to.  Not that I mind locks, I actually enjoy them but could do without the lift bridges.  Locks are a great opportunity to chat and the exercise is good for me and especially my legs - problems with veins means I have to wear support stockings and exercise is highly recommended.  Being on my own (single hander is the term used) I get through a lot of locks without leaving the boat as almost always, Lock-keepers or any boaters coming the other way will work the lock for me.
Set off the short distance to the lift bridge and another boat is coming.  I hang back in the hope it is not another single hander and they will work the bridge. The other boat comes in so I walk up - he is also on his own so he opens the bridge and I offer to close it - etiquette dictates that the person opening the bridge closes it.




Entering some very different countryside - the land of the "meres", after which Ellesmere takes its name. 









Wonderful section of the canal - Cole Mere.


 Blake Mere - the most beautiful and where I stop and sit out for lunch - glorious.
I had half intended to moor up at Ellesmere for supplies but it is such a lovely day and I want to get to Llangollen by Friday so I chug on.

TODAY: 15.5 miles; 2 locks; 1 lift bridges
TOTAL:  187 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 103 locks (21 broad); 9 lift bridges; 145 hours (engine)

No comments:

Post a Comment