Saturday 4 May 2013

Llangollen

After the aqueduct there is a junction with a short arm straight ahead and a very sharp left turn to continue to Llangollen.  The arm is the site of a very busy hire base which, combined with the sharp turn, must give gongoozlers (the boater's term for onlookers) much to enjoy at busy times.
The canal narrows and becomes more shallow up to Llangollen.  Recommended draught, according to Nicholson's is 21 inches and I draw 22!  The whole of this canal is shallow but now I struggle to travel at more than 2.5 miles per hour - there is not enough water to satisfy the propeller's needs.  The Llangollen, especially this section, is very twisting so a lot of work for my right arm.  Some old problems with my elbow and shoulder are threatening to come back but I have an idea which may help, to be tried later.







  









Fat chance
Lovely bank of cowslips, a member of the primrose family, apparently becoming rare in Scotland.





The scenery is changing from very flat to the start of the Welsh hills, with the river Dee below.












There are two very narrow sections, 300m and 500m in length with a passing place in the first but none in the second.  With crew you would send someone ahead to make sure no-one is coming.  On my own I have the choice between mooring and walking ahead or, take a chance and risk a stand off with one of you having to reverse.  It has been pretty quiet and my luck holds out!

Arrival at Llangollen basin.  It was pretty windy and I was chuffed by my almost perfect reverse onto the pontoon.  The rudder has no effect when reversing.  There are two choices for keeping the boat moving in the correct direction - the occasional short burst forward with the tiller hard over, to swing the boat (while taking account of the wind) or the boat pole.  So far I have not needed to use the latter.  The fees are a very reasonable £6 per night, including electric hook up and a water point, although the pontoons are pretty poor.
I could see the arena, where the Eisteddfod is held in July each year, from where I was moored but did not get round to forgot to go and have a look at it.






The Canal Boat Centre, where you can take a 45 minute horse drawn cruise or a 2 hour trip across the aqueduct and back.









The next day I decide to take the steam train up the valley.  At £12 I swithered but the trip was well worth the money.

Obviously not a smoke free zone!
The line, located within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty  remains close to the waters of the river for most of its length. Restoration was started in 1975 by a group of enthusiasts who saw the potential for a scenic heritage line through the Dee Valley. 7½ miles of track have been re-laid to Carrog, where the line presently terminates but a further stretch is due to open later this year.
It closed to passenger traffic in 1965 and to goods in 1968.
More info here
Off we go




The end of the line - swapping to the other end of the train










This might be a nice hotel to stay in.



 http://www.llangollen.org.uk/images/stories/main/1208965296.jpg




The Dee is crossed by a bridge built in 1873, replacing the previous stone bridge, dating from 1345.
Llangollen is a nice town, if a bit touristy - but, that does mean very few empty commercial premises.







Views up and down the Dee from the bridge:






Very popular for canoeing and water sports, this lot of Asian tourists got more than they bargained for - fast aground.  In trying to get them off, the instructor slipped off the rock and just managed to grab the side rope to avoid being washed downstream.  A real struggle to get off.

Guess what I found in Llangollen - a saltire.



My friend, Frank, was going to bring one down when he comes with his wife, June, for a week on the boat.  I did not expect to get one in Wales!!!
They even put on quite a good fireworks display for me!










Forgot to say, earlier, that I affixed the English rose (for Lisa), which I collected when I went home, to balance my thistle. Looks good







TODAY: 11 miles; no locks;
TOTAL:  198 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 103 locks (21 broad); 9 lift bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment