Wednesday 8 May 2013

On the Monty!

I am writing this on 24 May.  My dongle is still not working but good enough connection on my phone to post. I will keep the posts shorter than usual in an attempt to get up to date. Forgot to say in my previous post that a family of four on the steam train spent the entire journey playing cards.  Why did they go?  Or maybe the stunning scenery was not good enough and they expected the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (as in Faulty Towers).
After my two nights at Llangollen, I decided to make an early start on the Sunday and spent a good, if windy, day getting to the junction with the Montgomery canal.  Spotted my first celebrity - Shirley Williams on a hire boat.  I got a wave and hello.
I dithered whether to go down the 7 miles, 8 locks and 1 lift bridge and return, but am so glad I did.  Passage has to be booked in advance and a maximum of 12 boats per day are allowed due to shortage of water.  I moored just before the first of the 4 Frankton locks ready for my passage at midday.

TODAY: 15.5 miles; 2 locks;
TOTAL:  213.5 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 105 locks (21 broad); 9 lift bridges

Monday 6 May


 Looking down the Monty from the bottom Frankton lock.  Closed in 1944, volunteers have done a great job to restore the first 7 miles and several other sections further down, but it will be a long time and a great deal of money before through navigation is possible.










This is what cruising is about!


I do not have a new hairstyle, despite appearances.






Lovely canal-side property formerly used for boat building.  I have to thank the owners of the hotel boat, shown, for the fantastic Tiramisu they gave me - and also their foolish guest who turned it down!
Found a great farm shop and a wonderful shower facility with lots of space and hot water and very clean.  Timed for 8 minutes - I had to press it 3 times!

TODAY: 7 miles; 8 locks
TOTAL:  220.5 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 113 locks (21 broad); 9 lift bridges

Monday 7 May

Woke early and could not resist a short dawn cruise


Dawn taken at 0544

Glorious
Farmer has been busy


Lift bridge.  Limit of navigation is just below.

After a few hours I start back up to moor below the Frankton locks ready for passage on Tuesday.  There is a suspected breach and the level between the locks was about a foot lower than normal.  Went aground twice (once stupidly). Second time I was completely stuck, even with barge pole and full astern - thanks to the passers-by who kindly helped and without whom I may have waited a long time for another boat.



I needed the umberella - and it was not to keep the rain off!
There must be a lot of wildlife in the reeds but I only saw a reed warbler (according to a passing twitcher).  Have also seen a stoat and bats last night.









Moored up awaiting passage - very windy.












More soon, internet permitting. 






My new best friend, as requested by Mike, in case I do not get a chance to post for a while.









TODAY: 7 miles; 4 locks; 2 lift bridges (same one twice turning round)
TOTAL:  227.5 miles (36 miles broad, 7 miles river); 117 locks (21 broad); 11 lift bridges

2 comments: