Monday 26 August 2013

Castleford and Altofts

I spent a very pleasant couple of nights at Woodlesford and on my walk into town to top up with supplies I ascend a hill which used to be mine workings and the views were stunning.  Unfortunately I do not know how to create a panoramic photo but you will get the overall impression of the 360 deg views.


Ferrybridge power station, about 10 miles away



















I travel down the river Aire to the junction at Castleford and, after topping up with water, decide to have a sortie up the river Calder.  It proved to be a very good decision as I found a wonderful spot with lots of friends for James to play with.
James and Daisy











They got on very well so I ended up staying for 4 nights.









The double aqueduct at Stanley Ferry




On one of the days I travel up to Stanley Ferry as there is a shop there and I need some fresh vegetables - no luck, they only have potatoes and onions, but it was a nice trip.
















On one of my walks I see this "weed", which I have not seen before.










It was a lovely few days sojourn but I need supplies, so time to move on.

12 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  540miles (231 miles broad, 50 miles river); 282 locks (149 broad); 62 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment