Thursday 29 August 2013

Preparing for the Trent

The New Junction Canal provides a link between the Aire & Calder navigations and the South Yorkshire Navigations and was one of the last canals constructed.  It is five and a half miles long and completely straight all the way.  There are several moveable bridges and, although they are all electric, Alan warned me they are a bit of a pain if you are on your own.  We agreed that, unless another crewed boat appears we will go together and can at least play leap-frog which makes it a bit easier.



About 9am Rosedale Lady comes into view.  I have been meeting up with them frequently over the last week and they were moored at Woodlesford, although their dog was a bit too old to join in all the fun and games.  "Are you travelling down - we can operate the bridges for you".  "Give me 5 minutes" is my reply.  Unfortunately Alan is not ready to set off and I feel a bit rotten about leaving him - hopefully he found another crewed boat.

One of the lift bridges



 




The aqueduct over the river Don - rather intimidating.
The River Don

Rosedale Lady coming through
As I am approaching the end of the New Junction canal, I am still dithering whether to carry on onto the river Dun and towards Doncaster - just to have a look and say I have done it - my way lies East.  Rosedale Lady takes the sharp left onto the Stainforth and Keadby canal and I follow them - more locks and swing bridges lie ahead and their help will be useful!  Doncaster will have to wait until next time.  They reach their home moorings at Thorne and I wave goodbye.



 At Medge Hall swing bridge the signalman closes the railway gate to stop the traffic, while I operate the (manual) swing bridge.  He does not get two salaries for doing rail and canal work, though!
Some of the coal from Kellingley on its way to Keadby power station



 


The canal is completely covered in weed - a very surreal experience.




The incredible feat of engineering that is Keadby (or Vazon) sliding rail bridge, built in 1915. It is the only one in the UK and one of only three in Europe.






The bridge closing. 
More photographs are available here.








I arrive at the moorings at Keadby, having previously booked passage for 1230 (dictated by the tide) the next day.

20 miles; 3 locks; 16 moveable bridges

TOTAL:  580 miles (250 miles broad, 71 miles river); 292 locks (159 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment