Monday 19 August 2013

Rodley and visit home 15-19 August


Colin and John at Rodley Boat Centre provide me with a secure mooring to leave the boat for my visit home.  I had been worried I might have a gas leak, but he reassures me and says it is a very good installation.  When I get back I am tied up to Lucy Annie and spend a very enjoyable evening with Dan and Jo sharing our experiences - the boat name is similar, they bought their boat at the same time as me and moved onboard at roughly the same time.


The old Pack Horse bridge 






Which goes across the River Aire.












John shows me round Rodley and gives me a potted history.  It is most famous for making cranes and two large, world renowned, firms were based here.  The site covered a huge area, although little is left.










One of the few remaining is the former foundry of Thomas Smith & Son.









2 miles; 0 locks; 0 moveable bridges
TOTAL:  518 miles (219 miles broad, 40 miles river); 260 locks (127 broad); 59 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment