Sunday 29 September 2013

Seeing the Doc!

At the same time as I was buying my boat, my GP decided to return to his roots in Leicestershire. During Lisa's illness we had got to know him quite well and he had been marvellous in treating Lisa.  He expressed an interest in narrowboats and I said I would get in touch if I was near Leicester.  I contacted him to say I expected to be going through Leicester in October and he offered to help with the Foxton flight.  When I changed my mind and decided on the Coventry and Oxford rather than the Grand Union I thought I would miss him.  Unfortunately, geography is not one of my strong points and I only realised on Friday that I would actually pass within a fairly short distance (by road) from there.  An email to let him know and he would be delighted to join me on Sunday for a short while.  I suggest picking them up at Polesworth so I say farewell to Michele and Andrew and start off through Tamworth.






Frazely Junction and the branch down to Birmingham.  M&A intend to head down here a bit to visit the nature reserve and will probably catch up with me in a few days.












The River Tame from the aqueduct.





















Pete, Sherry and Yvonne, Sherry's mother.




I am slightly held up at the two locks in Tamworth but manage to get to Polesworth by 1230 and after a bit of confusion about bridges and a few phonecalls manage to meet up - thank goodness for mobile phones!





Sherry at the tiller - it was James' fault she nearly crashed!  She did very well.

 


As their time is limited, we decide not to have a pub lunch but make the most of the good weather.  Yvonne is not too well and Sherry was delighted at how much she enjoyed it.
Amazingly, they have arranged a day boat hire almost next to my winter moorings so hopefully we will meet up again then.
A lovely day - both weather and company.


8 miles; 2 locks
TOTAL:  790 miles (289 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 420 locks (199 broad); 78 moveable bridges



No comments:

Post a Comment