Friday 26 July 2013

Back at Barnoldswick

Posted Sunday 4 August - I am behind again!




I spent another night at Barnoldswick but may have become a bit confused about where I am exactly.










It is  a lovely day on Wednesday and I cannot resist the temptation to have a short cruise and suss out possible mooring spots for when Margaret arrives. 
Double arched bridge at East Marton
I intend to turn at the winding hole before the Bank Newton locks and it is a lovely spot to stop for lunch.  I am debating whether to stay here for the night or go back to Barnoldswick when the decision is made.  Round the bend comes NB Ashdown with my New Zealand friends Michele and Andrew  I knew they were headed this way but had not expected to meet them so soon. 
Out come the chairs, the beer and the whisky.
Michele's photo but I am sure she will not mind me pinching it.






Andrew making friends with James - or is it James making friends with Andrew?










End of a great day.
On my way - by Michele




Michele and Andrew decide to stay put for at least another night so I head off.  The canal sticks to the contours here and it bends right back on itself so it is half a mile to travel 100 yards as the crow flies.





 
On Friday morning, which I had intended to spend getting pump out, water, cleaning boat etc. before Margaret arrives, I discover the cabin bilges have a lot of water - from my friend on the Wigan flight, no doubt.  And my hand pump decides to call it a day.  I try repairing it without success and start hand bailing but it is going to be a very long job.  Fortunately Wayne at Lower Park Marina has one which he lends me - many thanks.  But that is the morning gone.

12 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  478 miles (179 miles broad, 40 miles river); 229 locks (96 broad); 37 moveable bridges







No comments:

Post a Comment