Monday 22 July 2013

Barnoldswick

I had not realised that I am now on the summit of the canal - the next lock is going down.



I make it through the 1640 yard Foulridge tunnel without hitting the sides - it was built to accommodate a wide beam boat so plenty of room.  And dead straight so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel (groan). It seems to take an age before the light gets any bigger.  Apparently it can be very wet but thanks to the recent dry weather there are only a few drips.  About twenty minutes to get through.

 
 



I stop at the end of the tunnel to fill up with water and reward myself with an ice-cream at the cafe/bar.  They actually have a dog menu with biscuits etc. but James gets an ice-cream as well.  Needless to say he loved it and so did I - narrowly avoided licking his by mistake after it was half gone!  The stretch after the tunnel is supposedly beautiful.  Unfortunately it is very hazy so no photos but I may well return with Margaret at the weekend.  The marina at Barnoldswick has run out of gas but say I can stay the night as there is a delivery tomorrow morning.  They are also happy for Margaret to leave her car here for a few days.  So that is sorted.

4 miles; 0 locks
TOTAL:  466 miles (167 miles broad, 40 miles river); 223 locks (90 broad); 37 moveable bridges

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you yesterday - see you next lap around the circuit!
    David and Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great to catch up and thanks for lunch.
    Sorry there was not time for a bit longer cruise but there are still the swing bridges after Skipton and I know you would really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete