Friday 12 July 2013

Survived Blackburn

A long and tiring day.
Four miles to the start of the Blackburn flight of 6 locks.  I delay my departure in the hope another boat will appear but no luck so I start out on my own.  It is not so much sharing the work but more for the company in case there are any local youths about although, so far, I have encountered no problems and have had help from a lot of the lads.  Chatting to them as equals works wonders.
At least there are three boats coming down so I can go straight into the second lock without setting it and the rest of the locks should be in my favour - some hope as it turns out.
The third lock is full so I empty it and go in.  There are a group of over a dozen youngsters lazing around so rather than do as I normally would and fill the lock, then walk up the short distance to set the next one, I leave the lock empty, with the boat in it, and go up and open the paddles on the next lock, which was also full. Mistake!  As I walk back to the boat I notice there seems to be rather a lot of water on the ground round the lock.  As I get nearer I can see water pouring over the gates and sides.  I start to run, much to the amusement of the lads.  Fortunately the boat has stayed back, away from the torrents pouring over the sides - another lesson learned.  I have to wade almost up to my ankles to get the top gates open and confirm my boots are not waterproof.  At least a couple of the lads shut the gates after me and they are enjoying the paddling pool created.
The rest of the locks are all full so a lengthy process.  These locks (and most in this area) are supposed to be "vandal proof" requiring a "handcuff key" to open, but many of the anti vandal locks do not work and it is likely some of the locals have opened the paddles to alleviate the boredom.



Blackburn is interesting but not somewhere I would want to linger too long.  I do take the opportunity to stop right next to B&Q, to get a new hose-reel, and Asda to get well stocked up.










I start looking for somewhere to moor but there is little that looks attractive.  I have a place marked on my map which someone on the CanalWorld Forum recommended but it is some way away.  I open the throttle and exceed the speed limit for a while - until my engine overheats.  No alternative but to turn it off and wait for it to cool down.  I discover the next day the reason was rope, cloth and plastic bags wound round the prop-shaft. 







I arrive at the moorings after 2230 so get a chance to use my navigation lights!  I must say I did enjoy the evening cruise with the sun setting.













As promised they are lovely moorings and were worth pressing on for.  The moors are starting to come into view.







This part of the Leeds and Liverpool has no locks and follows the contour.  Here it bends back on itself and there is a nice walk from where I am to the canal at Church.  A half mile walk but two miles by canal.  There are a lot of horses and foals in the fields on the way.










11 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  444 miles (145 miles broad, 40 miles river); 216 locks (83 broad); 34 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment