Saturday 5 April 2014

Little Haywood






A very narrow stretch which used to be a tunnel, demolished because of subsidence.  The advice is to send a crew member ahead to stop any boats entering - unfortunately I do not think James is up to the job!  I sound my horn and proceed.  As I reach the end of the narrow stretch another boat is approaching and there are boats moored immediately on the left.  Rather than obey the rule of keeping to the right he keeps left, not tight to the bank and a bit too close to give me much room to manoeuvre.  I manage to get through with inches to spare from the moored boats and the owner of the first indicating his disapproval of the actions of the other boat.  You do get the occasional selfish boater on the canals!

 



Hawkesyard Hall, dating from 1337, just before Rugely, where I adopted James from the rescue centre, last year.  It is now used as a venue for weddings and conferences.  Also known as Spode Hall during the occupation of the famous pottery family from 1839 to 1894.   Brief history here.






Aqueduct over the Trent at Rugely


The Trent - a bit different from the tidal section!
















The number of large buildings show the wealth this area formerly had (and maybe still does!) and I moor up almost opposite another - Bishton Hall, since the second world war St Bede's, a Catholic preparatory school.  The school had previously been at Hawkesyard Priory (above) but numbers of pupils grew and it moved to Bishton in 1946.

8 miles; 0 locks
TOTAL:  103 miles; 20 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment