Wednesday 9 April 2014

Stafford

After two days moored up I am keen to get moving again and, despite the forecast of strong winds, the early morning sunshine persuades me to get going.





Heading for Great Haywood and the junction with the Staffordshire and Worcester Canal I again pass the magnificent Shugborough Hall - perhaps one of these years I will stop long enough to visit.  Dating from the 17th century, it is now owned (thanks to the onerous death duties of the 1960's) by the National Trust.  The history and lots more information can be found here.


Looking back to the junction from the aqueduct over the Trent
Looking down the "Staffy" from the footbridge

























I stop for lunch at Tixall Wide, where I moored for the night last March.  Renowned for its kingfishers, yet again I saw not a one!
Permission to build canals had to be obtained from the various landowners and it is said that the owner of Tixall Hall insisted that the canal did not intrude on his views, so the canal had to be made to look more like a lake!
The magnificent Tixall Gatehouse.  It is now available to rent as a holiday home here.  Intended to impress visitors to Tixall Hall, I think it probably did its job!  Built in the 16th century, Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the Hall for two weeks in 1586.  Sadly it was demolished in 1927 but this photo shows the size and scale.


8 miles; 4 locks
TOTAL:  111 miles; 24 locks





No comments:

Post a Comment