Thursday 26 September 2013

Alrewas



The first of the narrow locks - not a lot of room to spare!






Lovely bridges and this time I almost managed to hold back the tears.








I approach the lock after Alrewas and, as usual going up, put the bows up to the lock gates in the hope they will magically open (because the lock is empty).  No luck so I put the boat into forward tickover and go to empty the lock (there was not much needed) and open the gates.  After I do this I notice the boat has reversed into the bank!  I was sure I had left her in forward.  Manage to grab the bow rope and get on - Yep, definitely in forward.  I get the boat off the bank and engage forward again - still going back.  I had been told about this on the RCR maintenance course - probably the gear selector cable has snapped.  The light is going and I cannot be bothered pulling the boat through on the rope so moor up for the night and will investigate in the morning.

9 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  770 miles (289 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 414 locks (199 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment