Saturday 21 September 2013

Meeting up on the Soar

Fraid I have gone a bit mad with the photos, but there was a lot to photograph!
The weir and much needed boom at Beeston, where the canal rejoins the Trent.

Beeston Lock




A very varied collection of homes on this stretch.




















Weeping willows

Very attractive stretch of the river
Cranfleet Lock






I haven't seen so many boats on the move for a long, long time.  It is a beautiful Sunday, though, so understandable.







Looking back to Cranfleet Lock
I reach the junction between the Trent, the Soar and the Erewash canal.     

From whence I came.

Entrance to the Erewash canal




And start up the Soar.






























Looking up the Trent where I will be heading shortly





Not far down the Soar I reach my destination and spy Pollie, with whom I am meeting up, on her newly painted boat.  I am pleased to say she enjoyed my cooking and her first taste of venison.














Redhill flood lock and the "Red Hill"






Nice mooring, although I moved down a bit so James could jump straight off the boat into a field.










James and Barney, one of Pollie's dogs had a bit of a set too at first.  Amazingly the labrador kept placing himself in-between them if he thought they were getting too serious, as if to say "calm down boys".






Soon they were playing like old friends.






Another attempt at night photography - Ratcliffe Power Station.







11 miles; 3 locks
TOTAL:  728 miles (259 miles broad, 124 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 397 locks (189 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment