Tuesday 17 September 2013

Hazelford Lock

I moor and walk up to see the lock-keeper.  It is so nice I decide to stop here.





The river passes both sides of the lock, with a weir on each side and has created a large island with the only access across a locked footbridge.












It is kept in lovely condition with lots of paths for James to explore - and lots of lovely, juicy blackberries for me.







And plenty of room for some ball chasing!








There are also hundreds of rabbits which James cannot resist chasing. In the maze of paths we become separated and despite my whistling he does not reappear. I walk the length (over half a mile) and breadth of the island whistling and shouting - nowhere to be seen.  I get back to the lock-keeper's office and he says James was trying to cross the gates just as he was opening them!
And there he is - sitting by the boat, saying "where have you been"?  A bit of an anxiety but nice to know he found his way back to the boat.

 
 
 
 
 
5 miles; 0 locks
TOTAL:  701 miles (259 miles broad, 98 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 388 locks (180 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment