Wednesday 18 September 2013

Back to where I started!

The stretch from Newark to Nottingham is very attractive and must be gorgeous when it gets its Autumn colours.







Nottingham's wealth soon becomes apparent.












The Nottingham Princess trip boat.  I have been trying to meet up with Tim, the skipper, since buying the boat but forgot to get in touch before arriving. Anyway, I am hoping to get to a shop in Nottingham before it closes and it looks like I will not make it as I am a bit held up by a dredging operation at one of the locks.





Forest's football ground - City's is just on the other side of the river
 


















Fortunately, I am just in time to get to Jessops and buy my new camera - the Nikon P520 - a "bridge" camera between compact and full SLR.  Unbeknown to me the free offer of £83 worth of accessories was due to finish that day - lucky.  So photos should be better from here on - at least once I read the 244 page manual!  On a little bit further and I am back to Nottingham Boat Sales, where I bought the boat - 6 months and over 700 very enjoyable miles later.
On Friday I go to meet up with Findlay, at their new boatyard on the Trent, for a discussion about the possibility of a new boat, but I think that will have to wait until I sell the house.  James (in charge of the brokerage) comes aboard to drink some of my whisky in the evening.  It was also great to meet Phil again, moored nearby, who was on the pontoon next to me when I bought the boat, having bought his at the same time.  And the rest of the team at the boatyard - it felt like I had come home!
So - first efforts:
The canal by night

Nottingham Castle Marina

Coot

Cormorant sunning himself on his favourite perch

Me in the "office"
 
16 miles; 6 locks
TOTAL:  717 miles (259 miles broad, 113 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 394 locks (186 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment