Thursday 12 September 2013

Chesterfield Canal Part Two

Wednesday 4th September

I managed a few locks before Jan arrived to lockwheel for me - "lockwheel" means to go ahead and set the next lock and may have come from doing it by bike, hence the "wheel".  She got a sophisticated camera for her birthday, earlier this year, so I let her do the snapping.  Photographs following are hers and are all copyright Jan Warsop.

Jan walked down from the train station and took this of me approaching

Me doing the work while Jan takes the photos!

She took so many photos of James he started posing



Are we nearly there yet?

The wind was in the wrong direction - the dust from the harvesting was not pleasant

Another lovely bridge and I got a bit upset thinking how much Lisa would have loved them


James trying to fly!



Albert's yard after the last lock

Where are we?
Heron in flight

No shortage of good size fish









The last half mile is unnavigable so we walked up to the blocked off tunnel.There is a further navigable section leading to Chesterfield but 8 miles still require restoring to join the two.  The Chesterfield Canal Trust website here has lots of information.





I had offered to buy Jan dinner but her husband, Dave is poorly and I can see she is itching to get back to him.  So, I make a date for the banter at the end of October, where dinner will be on me and sadly wave goodbye.
What a great day and great company - thanks, Jan.


6 miles; 30 locks
TOTAL:  625 miles (250 miles broad, 71 miles river, 13 miles tidal); 339 locks (167 broad); 78 moveable bridges

Thursday 5 September

I had moored near the top of the canal and heard lots of owls but, unfortunately, did not see any.
Dawn the next morning.
















Eddie, who is kindly helping me back down arrives about 0815 and we set off after a quick cuppa.  He is a fascinating guy and used to work on boats, including Freda Carless, which was moored near me on the river Calder and has been converted for residential use.  He now crews Python, which you can read about on the Trust's website, round the country to various shows and events.
 http://www.thebargee.co.uk/Barges-Pleasure/00b.jpg
He is a mine of information and tips and good company to boot.  I tried out a tip I had read on canalworld forum - hook a rope around one of the bottom gates and use the boat's momentum to close it - it works! And saves having to cross the lock to shut the gate. Eddie suggests using the boat pole to shut the other gate, which means I don't have to get off the boat at all, when exiting. Fantastic. Only works in narrow locks, of course.
After 23 locks we reach Shireoaks, where he has left his car and we use it to make the short trip to the Lock Keeper pub for some sustenance - and a bite to eat, as well.  I also check out the moorings there which are good, if a bit noisy with road traffic.
Eddie helps me with the three Shireoaks locks before heading off.  Thanks again Eddie.
I descend the two further locks to the pub but I still feel OK so and decide to carry on a bit and find a quieter spot. I end up just past Worksop, opposite the miner's club, which I mentioned in Part One.
My lock record is now 33 locks in one day and 63 in two days!  Doubt it will be bettered.

7 miles; 33 locks
TOTAL:  632 miles (250 miles broad, 71 miles river, 13 miles tidal); 372 locks (167 broad); 78 moveable bridges

6-12 September

I spend two nights to recuperate and get chatting to a lovely Polish lad, who I had met briefly on the way up.  He is fishing for Pike and I ask if he eats them?  He does - but not these ones, as he cannot cook them like his mother back in Poland can. And he likes whisky so I share a glass with him.
Back down to West Stockwith and ready for the next stage of the tidal Trent.
 

24 miles (21 broad); 12 locks (9 broad)
TOTAL:  656 miles (259 miles broad, 71 miles river, 13 miles tidal); 384 locks (176 broad); 78 moveable bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment