Tuesday 3 September 2013

Chesterfield Canal Part One

I am not sure how far up the Chesterfield I will go as there is a serious flight of locks at the end, although I am hoping I may get some assistance.






31 August. First night's moorings just beyond Drakeholes Tunnel - only a little one.









7 miles 4 wide locks







1 Sept. Uneventful day, moved up the canal a little bit and a lovely sunset.








4 miles; 0 locks


2 Sept.  I stop in Retford to shop at Aldi and Asda - both are adjacent to the canal, with moorings.  I am not keen on overnight mooring in towns, so travel on to look for a better stop.  














It is narrow locks from here on, which are a lot easier when on your own.  It is a lovely surprise - it is a long time since I was in a narrow lock.







 After the first of the four Forest locks, I encounter weed - and lots of it, requiring frequent visits down the weed hatch to clear the propeller.  Fortunately there are very nice moorings at the third lock.



The adjacent woods are great for James to roam about in.  I stop here for another two nights on the way back, when these photos were taken.






They are private woods but public access is allowed and they are almost part of Sherwood Forest.






When I go out with James for his bedtime walk, I come across two people with a sophisticated reflector telescope and stay chatting and viewing until about 2am.  I saw the Andromeda Galaxy!
8 miles; 6 locks

3 Sept. 



 The lock-keepers cottage at the top lock is being restored.  The only access is across this bridge so the removal men will have their work cut out. It had been rendered (there is a bit remaining on the gable end) and it is being painstakingly removed and restored to its former glory.





The miners sports and social club at Worksop - the union had a great deal of money in those days!




There are some obstacles to get past. Even though they are very attractive, they can be a bit of a nuisance and I had one branch (not a willow) poke through the open top-hopper of my galley window and do a lot of damage to the blind.





Also very narrow in places - fortunately (although sadly) there are very few boats moving.  It is also pretty shallow which means my maximum speed is about 2.5 mph.








Through Worksop and I moor at the cricket club.  I ask a passer-by if it is OK here - yes but not at weekends as the locals use the towpath to get back to the housing estate (the roughest in town) in the early hours.  Nothing disturbs my slumber.

My friend Jan, who has kindly offered to assist me up the flight, phones to say she has found someone to help on the way back down.  So, I will be going to the head of navigation.  I had been dithering as it would have been a lot of work and time on my own but I would have been very disappointed had I not got there.

8 miles; 5 locks

So Far  26 miles; 15 locks (6 broad)
TOTAL:  619 miles (250 miles broad, 71 miles river, 13 miles tidal); 309 locks (167 broad); 78 moveable bridges


No comments:

Post a Comment