Sunday 22 September 2013

Weston Lock

I had intended to spend another day on the Soar with Pollie, but the weather is just too nice so I say my goodbyes.




I get a pleasant surprise at Sawley Locks as I had forgotten they were keeper operated.  There are a pair of locks, showing how busy this part of the river used to be.  The weather is a bit different from when I was here in March!





Stopped at Shardlow for lunch.  It is very busy, as it is Sunday and lovely weather.  Probably the last time a lot of the boats will be out before the winter.
















I would have liked to visit the pub and visitor centre but do not feel I can do so as I am on the lock moorings.
I telephone Matty, whom I last met at Easter, to discuss where to meet up.  It will be good to see him again and he is going to service my engine tomorrow.  I could manage it myself but it will be good to observe someone else doing it the first time.




He suggests Weston Lock.  It has good road access - road bridges are a bit scarce here.  It proves a good choice with good walks for James and a field to play with his ball.
End of a lovely day
20 miles; 9 locks
TOTAL:  748 miles (276 miles broad, 127 miles river, 44 miles tidal); 406 locks (197 broad); 78 moveable bridges
























No comments:

Post a Comment